The Dubuque County Historical Society’s Historic Preservation awarded the 2017 Historic Preservation Awards on Tuesday, April 10, at Millwork Marketplace as part of Dubuque Main Street's annual Architecture Days celebration.
The Dubuque County properties receiving awards were chosen for their historic restoration and preservation efforts.
Owner: Dubuque Community School District
Bryant Elementary School, originally known as South Dodge Street School, was initially a wooden structure built in 1869. The school took the name of Bryant Elementary in 1889 and was reconstructed in 1940 as it currently stands. It is named after William Cullen Bryant, an American romantic poet, journalist, and long-time editor of the New York Evening Post, who died in 1878.
The building has gone through several renovations, the most recent of which was completed during the summer of 2015. Funded through a generous donation from John and Alice Butler, the project consisted of the replacement of 92 windows and eight doors to return them to their appropriate historical style. In addition, historical exterior sconce lighting was installed at the main entrance of the school, along with an historical globe and pole style site lighting along the streets sides of the school property. Supplemental lighting was also added to the building to help highlight the features of the building in the evening. The majority of the 92 windows are double hung-style units as per the original design. The new windows have simulated muttons and brick molding to mimic the original wood windows used on the school. The eight exterior doors were also replaced with the same simulated muttons to mimic the original wood doors. The main entry window wall was replaced with new glass block, which was originally used when the building was constructed. The project returned the windows to their original full height. As the classroom ceilings were lower, the architect designed a full length, 6-foot-wide window well that accommodated the full height of the operable historical style double hung windows resulting in increased natural light. The overall project resulted in a preserved historic aesthetic, improved energy-efficiency, and classrooms flooded with natural light.
Owner: Lair Tienter
The house known as 208 3rd Ave. S.W. first showed up on maps in 1860 as part of a 900-acre homestead deeded to a Dr. Langworthy. It was a one-story wood house at the end of a long drive now known as 3rd St. S.W. In 1880, new owner Norton J. Loomis added a brick veneer and a second story to accommodate his growing family. In 1907, the house sustained a fire in the front room; a bucket brigade fought the fire all night before finally putting it out. The extensive repairs took a year. From 1907 to 1940, the house had a number of owners before eventually sitting empty and being boarded up. Martin and Monica Fessler purchased it in 1946. They did a lot of remodeling, and built both the garage and horse stable behind the house. After standing vacant for three years, Lair Tienter purchased the home in 2000. Over the course of the next 15 years, Mr. Tienter worked to restore the house to its historic appearance, beginning with the interior, followed by the exterior. The exterior paint color was carefully assessed and the original green paint was matched. Windows were made to match the original sizes and configurations. Paint ghosting was found and revealed where Victorian-era trim had originally been. When Mr. Tienter decided to add a kitchen and greenhouse, he purposely did so on the rear of the building so as to be barely visible from the street and not disrupt the Second Empire aesthetic.
Owner: Steeple Square
Built in 1872, St. Mary's School originally had 12 classrooms. In 2017, it was converted to 12 apartments now known as the Francis Apartments on the Steeple Square campus. The restoration of the former school included a complete rehabilitation of the interior and exterior. The brick and limestone masonry was cleaned, repaired, and restored and all of the original wood windows were restored. The exterior wood panel doors on the east side were restored and on the west side, wood panel doors were replicated to match the doors that had been removed in the 1960s. The original appearance of the wood cornice and eaves was restored during the restoration, including the replication of the dentil molding. An addition to the building that was constructed in the 1960s was demolished, returning the building to its original style.
1710 Jackson Street, Dubuque
Owner: Community Housing Initiatives
The original owner of this house, Herman Henker, ran the Rooster Feeds Flour Mill with August Hammel. Multiple generations of Henkers lived in this home, including Otto Henker whose artwork was exhibited at the World’s Fair in St. Louis when he was just 13. Built in 1919, the home has undergone both exterior and interior renovations. The work done on this house includes a fresh coat of paint and restoration of all the original wood windows, including replacing modern ones with replicas of the originals. The brick and mortar was repaired and the chimney was rebuilt leaving the house to shine as a beautiful example of Dubuque’s architectural history at the corner of Jackson and 17th.
Owner: Douglas and Michelle Schlarman
The house located at 1020 Bluff Street has been a historic preservation project done by three generations of the Schlarman family. The intent has been to bring it back to its original 1886 row house appearance. The Schlarmans own the southernmost unit of this triplex row house built by Joseph Rowan. The architecture is considered modified Gothic and the solid brick bays are considered a main feature. Michelle and Doug Schlarman purchased the home in 2001. Restoration included reinstalling eaves (to prevent water damage to the brick), stripping and re-glazing all windows, installing a round third-story window true to the original design, and adjusting the slope of the overhang above the front door as originally intended.
Previous Award Winners